Professionally, I teach psychopharmacology and clinical psychiatric pharmacy, practice as a clinical specialist in psychiatric pharmacy, and perform research on psychoactive drugs.
On a more personal note, I’m a lover of nature, exercise, music, being, and consciousness. I’m passionate about cognitive liberty, self-realization, and psychedelic drugs.
I envision a society in which access to psychedelic drugs in a variety of safe and supported settings is available for purposes of psychospiritual well-being, personal development, ceremonial sacraments, and treatment of mental illness.
I strive to let my loves and passions guide my activity and provide the canvas my life is painted on. I hope this site can be of service to my vision as well as you.
Benjamin Malcolm, The Spirit Pharmacist
- Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Western University of Health Sciences, College of Pharmacy, Pomona CA. 2016-present
Training & Education
- PGY 2 Residency in Psychiatric Pharmacy – University of California at San Diego, San Diego CA. 2016
- PGY 1 Residency in General Pharmacy Practice – Scripps Mercy Hospital, San Diego CA. 2015
- Doctorate of Pharmacy – Touro University California, Vallejo CA. 2014
- Master of Public Health – Touro University California, Vallejo CA. 2014
- Bachelor of Science in Pharmacology – University of California at Santa Barbara, Goleta CA. 2008
Peer Reviewed Works
- Malcolm BJ (Pro). Should Medical Cannabis Administered by Inhalation Be Allowed for Hospitalized Patients? Can J Hosp Pharm. 2018 May-Jun;71(3):211-214. Epub 2018 Jun 28.
- Malcolm BJ, Polanco M, Barsuglia J. Changes in Withdrawal and Craving Scores in Participants Undergoing Opioid Detoxification Utilizing Ibogaine. J Psychoactive Drugs. 2018 Apr 2:1-10. doi: 10.1080/02791072.2018.1447175. [Epub ahead of print]
- Malcolm B, Tallian K. Essential oil of lavender in anxiety disorders: Ready for prime time? Mental Health Clinician: July 2017, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 147-155.
- Feifel D, Malcolm B, Boggie D, Lee K. Low-dose ketamine for treatment resistant depression in an academic clinical practice setting. Journal of Affective Disorders 2017;221:283-8.
- Thomas K, Malcolm BJ, Lastra D (2017). Psilocybin-Assisted Therapy: A Review of a Novel Treatment for Psychiatric Disorders. J Psychoactive Drugs: 1-10.
- Malcolm BJ, Lee KC. Ayahuasca: An ancient sacrament for treatment of contemporary psychiatric illness? Mental Health Clinician: January 2017, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 39-45.
- Malcolm BJ, Perry P, Yoshizuka K. Marijuana and Pharmacy Practice: A Call to Action. California Journal of Health-Systems Pharmacy. 2014 Sep-Oct. Vol. 26 No. 5.
Certifications & Licenses
- Board Certified Psychiatric Pharmacist (BCPP)
- Registered pharmacist CA